Tuesday, 26 June 2012

The astrology of introverts


Are you an innie, or an outie?  Tempermentally I mean.  The extroverted signs are the male, or yang signs.  These would be Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, and Aquarius.  The introverted signs are the female, or yin signs of Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn and Pisces.  Just because you're a Leo doesn't mean you're an extrovert though.  Signs are important, but house placement even more so I've found, as well as aspects to Neptune.

Do you know if you're an extrovert or an introvert?  Not sure?   Take this free online test  Briggs Meyers test   and it will determine what you are.   It's a very famous test based on Jungian typology.  Career counselers and corporations use it frequently to help people optimize their talents.

The main difference is how one utilizes energy.  Introverts expend a lot of energy being with people, and they need to be alone a lot to recharge their batteries.  Extrovert re-enegize themselves by being with people, and they tend to feel depleted when they are alone for too long.
I'm an super introvert myself, and so have been extremely interested in the differences between myself and the seemingly zillions of extroverts out there.  I've read a couple of books that have been extremely validating when it comes to being an introvert.  One of them was just on the NY Times Bestselling list for weeks and weeks.  I was so happy to see that this stuff is going mainstream.  It's called   Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.  Amazing book!  

“At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own. Although they are often labeled “quiet,” it is to introverts that we owe many of the great contributions to society–from van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.
“Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so…And she draws on cutting-edge research in psychology and neuroscience to reveal the surprising differences between extroverts and introverts.”

In one chapter the author visited Harvard Business School, and found that its virtually a requirement to be an extrovert to be in that school.  It's all about teamwork!!  Introverts are not big on teams, and we usually prefer to do everything as independently as possible.  Not only is everything there done in teams, you are expected to socialize every night after school.  In effect, one is always in the company of other people.  Introverts on the other hand, do their best work alone, where its quiet, and we prefer to socialize in smaller groups, or with one or two people at a time.



Another book I absolutely loved is called  The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World.   Did you know that the brain chemistry of introverts and extroverts is different?  It's all about dopamine.  Dopamine is a brain neurochemical that makes one feel up, happy, euphoric and energized when its released.  Apparently extroverts don't have enough of it.  It's released when we become stimulated, and we become stimulated when we engage with other people, take physical risks, socialize, talk and party.  In effect, extroverts are the way they are because they are just trying to increase the levels of dopamine in their brain. 


Introverts, on the other hand,  have plenty of dopamine.  We don't want too much more.  We can actually become over-stimulated if we do the above activities. I can get a big hit of dopamine just by going grocery shopping for heavens sake, whereas an extrovert might need to go something more stimulating to get that bigger dopamine hit.  Introverts need to be more quiet.  We are driven by the neurochemical acetylcholine, which is the calming hormone.  Sitting quietly in a coffee shop reading a really good book helps us get our acetylcholine hit.  That can actually get our happy juices flowing.

Also check out Introvert Power: Why Your Inner Life Is Your Hidden Strengthby Laurie Helgoe. This is probably my favourite of all the books I've read on how to thrive as an introvert. 

Soceity validates extroverts and extroversion much more than introversion.  They seem to want us to be less sensitive, to get over it, or to stop being such a party pooper.  I spent a lot of my earlier years trying to do just that....and it was exhausting!  I chose boyfriends that were extroverts, and that didn't work out so well.  I finally 'got it', and now I celebrate who I am and don't hang around people who don't support my temperament.  My close friends are all introverts (and there are only a few), and my friends who are extroverts are great.....for shorts period of time. 

Fascinating stuff!  But, I digress.  To get to the astrology of it all, I've found that introverts have planet placements in the 12th, 4th or 8th house primarily, with strong aspects to Neptune and typically some water signs as well.  I'm an Aries with a Leo rising, which is a very extroverted combo, but my Moon in Cancer is in the 12th house,  my Mars in Pisces is in the 8th house, and they both aspect Neptune in the 4th.  That is the classic combo for an introvert.  It overrides the Sun and Asc every time.   Neptune seems to add that needed element of sensitivity that introverts have.   I had a good friend who is a double Sag.  Yep, she had both Sun and Moon in Sagittarius, the most extroverted sign of them all.  She, however, was a super introvert.  Why?  Lots of Scorpio planets in her 12th house, and Neptune in the first house conjunct the Saggy Sun.

Famous introverts - Albert Einstein, Warren Buffett, Ghandi, Rosa Parks, Eleanor Roosevelt, JK Rowling, Stephen Spielberg, Robert DeNiro, Diane Keaton, Gwyneth Paltrow, Michelle Pfeiffer, Meg Ryan and Meryl Streep.


Are you a Highly Sensitive Person?   Take the test here

An Empath's Story

Check out EMF Protection


12 comments:

  1. Loved this blog. I am an ISFP, so I am pretty introverted. I am a Libra, but I have Pisces Moon, Cancer fourth house cusp, Pisces 12 house and a ton of Scorpio. I am only an extrovert when I have to be. I am single at almost 50 because of it. At times it depresses me because I see myself as different then other people who manage to marry and have families. And yes I am an Artist? Musician, who reads a lot. I even work from home. But for the most part I am okay with it until someone points out that I spend too much time alone.

    Thanks for the enlightening article

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed it Lisa. I can certainly relate as I am 50 as well and have never married, and I'm sure my proclivity for space and privacy is a big part of that. It's likely our perfect mates will be introverts as well, as they'll need just as much quiet time as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The correlations are so interesting. I think the topic would make a great book... you ever consider it? I'll be a test subject! Ha.

    My chart: Leo sun square Neptune and Saturn, 12th house Neptune conjunct Scorpio rising, Moon and Venus in Cancer in 8th house trine Neptune... pretty darned introverted.

    MBTI type: INF/TP (about 50/50). Work from home, never married, mid-40s, happy spending nights in with the dog.

    Thank you for this info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an ENTJ and Extroverted Capricorn, this is a very good article about the SUPER INTROVERTED Leo I am getting to know. If you met us on the wrong day, you would think I am the Leo and she is the cap lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can never understand why or how introverts become actors?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because so many introverts have aspects to Neptune, it makes them naturals when it comes to acting and channeling/accessing emotion. Perhaps it feels safe to take on the persona of another. I think they dislike the press junket part of it though. Think of Robert DeNiro. Amazing actor, but horrible talk show guest. He never says anything....just a few mumbles here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this blog. I'm an Aquarius and from what i read we are extroverts, but I'm an introvert. Sometimes I feel like i just want to do something to be more of an extrovert, but after reading your blog i finally see that being the quiet person has more benefits! Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found this blog today! Agree totally with whats said.
    Being a Libra sun sign with a Pisces moon conjunct IC and Neptune well aspected in my natal chart, this info is music to my eyes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a Leo - ISTP, unusual type. Leo women are not expected to be inroverts, but I am an extreme introvert. Can you she light about the charting. I know I am a fire sign but not much more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this article! I love that you mention you are an Aries with a Leo rising (typically extroverted signs), but certain other aspects in your chart trump the Sun + Moon combo...a grand water trine, I believe? I too am an Aries - actually I have four personal planets in Aries 1st house, Moon in Leo, all forming a grand fire trine w/Neptune in Sag - but I am a total introvert as well! It was so refreshing to read this article and understand why: my Pisces rising (enough said, right?) with Neptune conjunct the mid-heaven and squaring the ascendant is the extremely sensitive, watery filter through which all that fire has to pass to get to the surface. Sometimes reading an exciting book alone in my room is exhausting, let alone going to a party and being around all those high-charged emotions! I soak it in like a sponge. Sleep, nature, meditation, and writing is the best way for us introverts to recharge! Thanks again for this enlightening article, I'm so happy to have discovered your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is great - I feel like I'm finding my tribe!!! I have 5 planets in Pisces, all in 12th, and Scorpio Moon in 8th! Fortunately I have an Aries Rising which gets me out sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Lin...amazing. I have sun, moon, mercury and venus in the 12th with aries rising that, I know, saves my bacon.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.