Friday, 3 April 2015

Animal Spirit Totems



Last year I was going for my usual walk around Stanley Park, when all of a sudden a trio of Sea Otters jumped up from the Seawall and walked across the path right in front of me.  I mean right in front! I was almost tripping on them.  I was so startled it took me a bit to get my phone camera turned on, so I missed the beginning, but I did manage to get some good shots of them frolicking in the brush on the side of the Seawall and as they slid back down to the seawall and back into the sea. They sure are cute little guys.















Those of you who follow astrology already understand that the Universe is speaking to us at all times - there are signs and symbols everywhere guiding us in the right direction. Everything has meaning, although oftentimes we forget that, but when something really unusual and obvious crosses our path (literally) its time to pay attention and see what the Universe is saying to us.  So of course I couldn't wait to get home and figure out what the Sea Otters were saying to me.
I already had a few good ideas just by watching them - the family unit, playing together, co-operation, frolicking, having fun etc.  So, I checked out 'Sea Otter Medicine.'

Sea Otter Medicine - Otters are regarded as master of play by the Native American and Celtic cultures. Observing an individual otter of family of otters shows us that it's possible to view life as a game to be enjoyed. Life is too short to worry too much. Otter helps one find their inner child again, and to feel joyful and happy.

The message hit home, and I took it to heart. I usually check out anything that crosses my path that seems unusual in some way, or actually not even that unusual.

We all have at least one animal spirit that accompanies us for life. We identify with them and they are part of our spiritual identity. Our animal totems help us along our personal path of awareness. We also have animal spirits that come to be with us for shorter periods of time to support us as we move through different lessons along our path.

The animal spirit guide that is with us for life offers us wisdom when we communicate with it. If you feel strongly drawn to a specific animal of any kind (animals, birds insects etc) this may be your spirit animal totem. Your totem animal may contact you in dreams, or you can find out what yours is through meditation.

Then there are animal totems that pop in and out quickly and are simply messengers - just as the Sea Otters were for me.

This webpage is a wonderful resource with great info about all different kinds of creatures as messengers and totems. Check it out if any creatures have been coming into your life lately.